Thursday, September 4, 2008

Surprise! You're addicted.

So here’s the thing: I was really taken by surprise by my recent addiction. Reading. It’s not that I don’t read. I do. A lot. It’s just that since I started reading Stephenie Myers’ Twilight series I have trouble thinking about or doing anything else. I picked up the first novel in the teen series (I am sooo not a teen) last Tuesday at the Albuquerque airport just before I boarded the plane to come back home. As I mentioned earlier, I read a lot. But as it’s been summer and I’d had my fill of heavy reading for work, I’d been on a chick lit craze for the last few months. I had finished my last book on my inbound flight; so I was looking for something else to occupy my mind for the flight home. I had seen an interview with the author Stephanie Myers on “Sunday Morning on CBS” last month and when I walked into the book store, the first book in her series caught my eye. I had passed it over several times before in airport bookstores because I knew it was a teen series and it didn’t seem to hold any appeal for me. But this time I decided to take peek inside and see what all the fuss is about. Well, I opened Twilight to about the middle and started reading. Edward the 17 year old vampire was reluctantly and skillfully seducing Bella the 17 year old human girl. Doesn’t sound that appealing by my description, I know. But I was hooked. So, rather than be spotted reading this book so eagerly in plain sight, I decided to buy it and read it in the privacy of my plane seat. I felt only slightly embarrassed as I paid for the book, but also thrilled that I would soon be back in Bella and Edward’s company. I had upgraded my seat so I knew two things: One, most likely my seat mate wouldn’t bother me, and two, I would have plenty of free wine. So I drank my wine and devoured the book. I was about half-way through the book by the time I landed and had a hard time putting it down to deplane. Once I got home… (more on that next time)

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady - You're not supposed to leave me hangin' like that - FINISH THE STORY ALREADY!

Jill said...

TRACY!!!! YAY you have a blog! I'm so excited. I'm gonna add you as one of my Number One Blog friends!!! Love ya! - Jill

Jessica and Matt said...

You're blogging!!! Yay!!! And let me just say, that girls at my office read those books, and LOVED them. I would have one girl tell me all about it (Cliffs Notes version), and I loved it! If I had any time, I would totally read them.

So good to see you on blogger--yay!