Monday, October 20, 2008

CHICKENS!!!!!

So here’s the thing: We went to the opening of the Trinity River Audubon Center this weekend. It was awesome, by the way.  Among other awesome things, we learned about urban chicken coops. Most of you reading this have known that I’ve tried three times, rather unsuccessfully, to be vegan. I am vegetarian and I don’t buy any leather. My ultimate goal is to get as many factory-farmed animal products out of my life as possible because I hate supporting the atrocity of factory farming in any way. However, I’ve had a really, really hard time letting go of cheese and eggs. I’ve always said that if I had some land, I would have some chickens and cows where I could produce my own milk, cheese, and eggs and know the animals were well taken care of. Well, you guessed it! Turns out, lots of people are raising 2 or 3 chickens in their backyards in the city. It’s totally legal as long as you don’t have a rooster. I am so freakin excited! Dean and I are getting us some chickens for Christmas. Here are the chickens I am considering:

 

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Ameraucana-B5.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Australorp-B14.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Brahma-B16.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Cochin-B30.aspx

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Silkie_Bantam-B100.aspx (I HAVE to have one of these!!!!)

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Wyandotte-B6.aspx

 

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear goodness... Tracy, Tracy, Tracy. I have no words. Seriously; I have lots of feelings regardng you raising chickens in your backyard in DALLAS, but I simply cannot put them into words (although "Green Acres is the place to be, Farm livin' is the life for me" comes to mind). Didn't I tell you to buy a house in Frisco?! The guy at the end of our street totally has cows (nicknamed Jack and Diane by me) - he probably has chickens too... You can't be a city girl with a farm mentality... I just don't see that working!

Jill said...

Seriously.....I have heard it all!!! Are you sure about this? I know you are a country girl at heart...do you remember what chickens smell like!???? ugh....gross.

PS. Jessica is going to die when she reads this. She is the chicken expert!

PSS. Please don't let your chickens swim in your pool. I want to come over next summer and don't want to have to scoop out chicken poop before I take a dive.

Jessica and Matt said...

Oh my DANG. You can have them in the city?? This is crazy talk. Well, I'm thrilled for you. I guess you won't be cutting their heads off like we did...

I will also tell you that when we ordered some, when we were kids, we ordered 25 each (one group for me and one group for my older sister). If I remember correctly, they came through the mail in a big, sort of flat box with holes in it. And let me tell you, they were ADORABLE. All little fuzzy yellow chickies. So sweet!

Oh. And we never had our chickens around a pool, but if they're anything like ducks, they'll love the swimming!

We'll definitely need to get a full report on this via blog. So fun!